In future, only one permit (environmental permit) will be needed where currently the urban development permit and the environmental permit are still required.

In the current system, you have to apply to the Municipal Executive for the urban planning permit. You can do so at the town hall.

Applications for an environmental permit must be submitted to the Municipal Executive of the municipality where the planned business activity will take place or to the Provincial Executive, depending on the severity of its impact on the environment. You can obtain further information from Agentschap Ondernemen.

In future, you will have to apply to the Municipal Executive for an environmental permit. They have been authorised to issue these permits, except:

  • in situations involving a possibly major environmental, socio-economic or spatial impact, when the Provincial Executive will take the decision;
  • in the case of major strategic projects, when the Flemish government will take the decision.

Other permits that you may need will depend on the type of business:

  • Food production: an approval, registration or authorisation from the Federaal Agentschap voor de Veiligheid van de Voedselketen (Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain) is required;
  • Trading establishment exceeding 400 m² in area: a socio-economic permit must be submitted to the Municipal Executive.

For all other necessary permits, which are specifically aimed at your business activities, you should contact Agentschap Ondernemen.


User name